I will say, as is typical for me, I had no plan when making this bench and after making this once, I would do things differently, but here is a tutorial on how I made this one.
I started with 4 "legs" cut from bunk bed posts I found in an alley garbage.
I then figured out what sized boards I needed by laying them out. These are all pallet boards and yep, that is bird poop on there--I sanded a little of it off, but painted over it too--texture!
I then painted the boards.
Next I cut some 2x4 type boards that are also from pallets. I cut the thinner, painted pallet boards into pieces, at least 2 of the 3 for the sides. I screwed these to the 2x4 pieces, leaving room for the legs on the ends.
I screwed the legs on which created 2 panel pieces.
I then added end pieces to make a box.
Now here is where those 2x4 pieces probably could have been done differently, as well as the bottom, but what I did was added pieces to create the bottom of the box. I screwed the bottom boards into the 2x4's first, which was very secure, but then that made it so I had to find or cut the right width pieces for the rest of it. I screwed those in from the sides.
Lastly, I added a plywood top. This piece of ply was screwed to one of the pallets I picked up. I hinged it on and waxed it with dark wax.
(Hmm, I need a pedicure.) Even though the construction wasn't perfect, I was happy with the finished product and so was the sweet college girl who bought it.