There was nothing really wrong with the original light fixture in my daughter's bathroom, not too outdated yet. But she loves mason jar light fixtures and I knew she would be thrilled to have one.
I looked at a few tutorials like this one to help. It is very easy to do! I started by tracing around the top of the globes that were on the fixture.
Then I drilled a few holes in the lid--just enough to be able to get my scissors in there to cut.
I used just regular, household scissors--they cut easily.
I put the lid and ring back on the light fixture and then screwed on the original ring.
The jars I used are some that I accidentally bought for canning, 1 & 1/2 quart size (these did have applesauce in them that we have already eaten). I liked the size for this project. I wanted them to have a tint to them so I used this Martha Stewart transparent glass paint purchased at Michaels.
When the paint was dry, I screwed in the light bulbs and then the jars.
I am not thrilled with the spiral, fluorescent light bulbs in them, but daughter likes them and I am not sure if the Edison bulbs will give off enough light for a bathroom.
I could have painted the actual fixture to update it more, but the rest of the bathroom still has the brushed nickel so we are sticking with that for now.
My daughter collects mason jars too, she loves to put sand in them from different places we visit.
The paint cost $3 so the grand total for this bathroom is $62! I do still need to buy her a couple new hand towels so that is how I will spend the extra $13 I have left--well maybe $7-8 on the towels and the rest on a latte for me.
Find more ideas at Funky Junk Interiors!