My first project, a starburst wreath can be found HERE. After I saw the photographs of my new wreath, I realized my plant holder was not working--the shabby chic style was wrong with my funky, recalimed wood wreath. So what is a girl to do? Build something that DOES work, of course.
Now, when I started my 5 projects in a week event it was not my intention to make every project for my porch. I have other non-porch projects made to share. However, this may turn into 5 porch projects in a week. We will see...yep, I don't have them all planned out quite yet, this is how I fly.
To make my plant shelf I started with a board that was about the length and width I wanted (approx 3 ft. by 8 inches). Make sure it is not warped!! PROJECT FAIL reveal time--I made this twice. My first board was so warped it would not hang right.
I used painted and unpainted board scraps, which makes this project really quick (except that whole nasty making it twice buiness.). I cut a thicker 8" board into three pieces, each one is about 7-8" deep. Attach the boards with a nail gun. I also temporarily secured the shelves with a nail gun, but then used three 2 1/2" screws in the back of each one.
I sprayed the shelf with a clear coat for outdoor use and used a heavy duty D ring to hang it up.
I drilled holes in the bottom of each shelf for drainage,
and a hole behind each pot for the drip tubing (which isn't turned on yet so you don't see the tubing).
I did decide to use a little E6000 to secure the pots to the shelves in case a door gets slammed or a wind hits the porch. I think I will still be able to pop the pots off at the end of the season, but if not, I will still be able to dump them and easily store the shelf.
Don't forget to come back tomorrow for a fresh project idea. Also--I am postponing my weekly link party to Saturday so get those projects ready!